Thursday, February 23, 2012

On Mortality

With the passing of Whitney Houston and a few other celebrities over the past few months, it seems like more folks are focused on death and the after life now. You would hope that would lead people to live better daily lives but who knows if that is the case.

As my close friend pointed out, when you loose someone close as I lost my dad, life and death will never be viewed in the same manner. Death just doesn't have the same sting as before and you learn to live with the realities of life...in that there are some things out of our control and some things we will never understand.

Now the point of this post isn't to be morbid at all, so let me get to it. As I was watching Super Nanny the other day (a re-run from a few years ago), a few things struck me. A father had called for the assistance of Super Nanny with his family of three young boys (ages 6, 4 and 2). The mother had passed away of cancer a year prior. She left behind her husband and three children, each who was still grieving in their own way. I was left with my heart going out to the dad and the boys, but more so to the mom who never got to see her boys grow up. I can't imagine the angish she faced as she looked at her own mortality in the face and tried to fight to stay here. To think that there was so much she probably wanted to do and say to her sons just broke my heart. And I can't get it out of my mind.

I would hope that my boys would keep my memory alive and that they would always know they were loved and had the best guardian angel watching over them at all times.

I wanted to pen this post a number of days, but I didn't want something to happen and then for people to look back at this and say, awwww, look at her last words. Yeah, I can be a little supersticious when it comes to things like that. But like I said above, I have learned that we have no control over such things. We cannot live in a state where we are fearful of death or anxious about things at every turn. We have to have faith that God's work for our individual lives will come to completion. It just compels me to live each day, learn more and love the most!

Now, back to the regularly scheduled programming :)

No comments: