Wednesday, November 2, 2011

On the Sands through an Hourglass

This crazy concept of time is one that I struggle with...Well, I guess in more ways than one...For those who know me IRL know that I have this habit of being late or getting places right at the appointed hour. Being early never really was my thing. But before I digress, that's neither here nor there. The "time" I am referring to is the passing of time--from seconds to minutes; minutes to hours; hours to days; days to weeks; weeks to years...

It seems like just yesterday, I was bringing J home from the hospital...A wide eyed, calm (except at feeding time) newborn with a world of potential locked inside his little body. And now, I look at that "not so little" body of his--who am I kidding--I look at that HUGE body of his and wonder where the time has gone since that August day in 2007. It just doesn't seem real that he's now a four year old who has his own demands and doesn't hesitate to articulate them. It all seems like a blur. When J was an infant, I tried to make a point of making mental snapshots of special times that would burn in my memory so that I would always have them to recall. I would snuggle him tight, close my eyes and commit every detail of that moment to my memory. I can still recall sitting in a hotel room with him when he was a few days old, sitting on my bed with him playing when he was a few months old. And I am grateful that I can recall those times so vividly. I can only hope that it always stays as fresh to me!

And now, when I look at B, I want to create those same moments in my mind. I want to be able to have those images to recall years from now because as I can now see, the time goes so quickly. So as B's days have turned into weeks (HAPPY 3 weeks B!), I am not eager for the weeks to turn into months and years. Of course, I want him to grow and thrive and hit all his milestones accordingly. But I also want him to be a baby and for this time to go slowly and the moments to last as long as they can.

I wonder what my own mommy thinks when she looks at me and my brother...I know the time seems to go in fast foward. I can only hope to look at my boys the same way one day.

Cherish the day!

No comments: