Tuesday, December 13, 2011

No Judgment Zone

Something about pregnancy and having a newborn around seems to invite people to try to invoke their opinions about everything you do and every decision you make. I have matured enough in my years to finally know that I don't have to justify their opinions with a response or defend the choices that I make for myself or for my family, however, it does get O-L-D...Okay, before my rant goes too far, let me put this in context...

On the topic of choosing to breast feed B or not, I seem to have upset the masses because we have moved on from that and he's now exclusively receiving formula. I mean, damn, is this going to start the next foreign conflict or what? Everything isn't for every body! I know that we gave it a good go and he received breast milk for the first crucial weeks of his life, but like I said, it was in the best interest of my sanity and my family, that we ended it. And it wasn't even dramatic here, just went along with what he needed and the natural flow of things. I would like to think that I am educated enough to know all the benefits of breast milk and the down side to formula, so your reminding me of that doesn't help. And no, I don't feel like I am weak or less of a mother because I am not breast feeding. I feel just fine, I am empowered and I am confident that my baby boy is healthy and growing well...And if you've seen the pics of him lately, you know that he isn't missing any meals :)...

And okay, so if I choose not to have B fully vaccinated right now, again, that's OUR decision. I have heard from some that my unvaccinated child will be a risk of spreading some dreadful disease to your children because he's not fully protected. To those who feel that way, the answer is simple, stay away! We will catch up with you a few years down the line when B has been injected with all the (in my opinion) unnecessary poison to "protect" him...And while I am no expert in the matter, I do tend to believe there is a link between the increased level of vaccines that our children are mandated to receive and the increased level of autism and other developmental delays. I am willing to be totally off on that and incorrect, but again, that would be my mistake. If nothing else, I am giving B the benefit of having his shots and giving his system time to eliminate the indigestible toxins (ie mercury) that come along with them. So again, forgive my child if he sneezes on yours, I am sure your precious little one is exposed to much worse than a baby sneeze...(and stop smoking with the car windows up before you tell me anything else, LOL).

I'm on a roll now and could keep going about the "advice" that is passed my way or the opinions that I encounter more than I'd like. But just one more...So the hell what if I choose to hold my baby all day long (well, not all day, but you know what I mean). These little ones are only babies once and if he cries because he wants to be in my arms, then shit, I am gonna pick him up. It's that simple. This time next year, he will be running from me. I'll have to chase him to even get a hug and I know that cuddling with him will be out of the question as his independence will have taken over. So no, I don't believe that I am spoiling him or scarring him for life because he likes to be held by mommy. Hell, he's a baby. He's supposed to be held. I am not raising a mini adult here, I am raising my newborn son! I know that mom held me, well probably dad since I am a daddy's girl through and through, but my point is that my brother and I didn't see too much of the couch, bed or bouncy chair. We felt the warm arms and love of our parents and I'd like to say that we both turned out more than fine.

So let me end by saying the next time you want to open your mouth to me or any other new mommy for unsolicited advice, just please, think of what you are saying and how you're saying it. As for me and my house, we choose to live in a NO JUDGMENT ZONE!

No comments: