Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Waiting Room Chatter

Over the past few days, I have found myself in medical waiting rooms for one reason (B or J) or another. As always, I am observing my surroundings, keeping watch on my boys and listening to the communication around me at the same time. Well, today for some reason was different. I wanted to just yell SHUT UP as the same tired chorus of stay-at-home mom chatter was going on around me. (before I go any further, PLEASE do not take this as a negative post about those blessed to stay home with their kids, I admire yall)...Okay, back to my thoughts. As I was listening to the ramblings about who ate what and how many unwanted pounds they had all packed on, I just couldn't relate to them. I mean, well, yes, I am a mom, I have two great boys, I have unwanted pounds, etc, so on the surface, we have a lot in common, but deep down, yeah, well, there must have been something more. And I am not sure what that something is...

As these ladies exchanged labor and delivery stories, I could have chimed in. The thoughts in my head were reeling but the words left me rendered as mute. I just wanted it to stop. It seems as though each person was trying to one up each other, like each person wanted to make their story of labor tougher, their children brighter, their motherhood badge of honor more worthy...and I couldn't take it. I know we each have our journeys that are filled with peaks and valleys. We each have things to be thankful for and things we wish had worked out differently. Yet somehow, sitting among the mindless talk of strangers, I just wanted to transcend the conversations and get the hell out of dodge. So I did what I do--I zoned out and started some personal reflection...

Yes, my boys are the greatest ever. Yes, my c-section was something to contend with. Yes, breastfeeding and engorgement sucked big balls for me. Yes, I work my ass off at home to do what needs to be done...and yes, I could relate to those stories being tossed about with an indiffernt type of pride...and yes, I ignored the talk and really, I could have cared less...

No comments: