Friday, January 6, 2012

We Need a Resolution?

Something about the turn of another year on the calendar naturally prompts everyone to do their best to pull out their list of intentions for the year that is new. It's a time to reflect on mistakes and successes and a time to focus on what can be done differently and better in the new year. I have never been one to make (or keep) too many resolutions in the past and I don't know that this year will be any different. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the sentiment of starting new and fresh, I just don't like the cliche of waiting until January 1st every year to do so. I'd rather make change when change needs to be made. But with that said, six days ago, I did take time to make a promise to myself that in this year, I will more specifically focus on living in the present and being more appreciative for the here and now. It's so super easy to look toward the next transition and put all your time and energy into getting there. In high school, I couldn't wait to graduate and go to college. In college, well, I wanted to just be done. In grad school, I was ready to get away from the snow and start my career. Once I got started at work, I looked for the next promotion and move. Once I became a mom, I looked toward the next milestone for J--sitting up, crawling, walking, talking, etc. So for this year and with my three guys, I just want to be fully present and fully thankful. Of course, there are still goals that I am working toward, I just won't be as consumed with them that I forget to enjoy the blessings in the here and now.

With that, my PRAYER (not resolution) for myself is that my family remain healthy and happy and that I am the best ME for me and for all of them.

I see building the blocks of success for the boys and implanting in them all that they need to raise up and be great and successful in their generation.

So do I need a resolution? I guess in some ways, I have them.

No comments: